Thursday, August 25, 2011

An Audience of ONE

Hello precious sister. I hope this finds you striving to serve the LORD right where you are today. He is mighty to save. He is the Alpha and the Omega. He is the bright and morning star. Heaven needs no light because the glory of the LORD lights up the entire place. He truly is worthy of all our praise and honor.

The other night at ladies Bible class we had a discussion about living radical lives in front of the world. We talked about ways we could do that. When we got down to the nitty gritty of actually putting some shape to it we got stuck. Some rationalized, some got defensive and some got quiet. We are called to live out our faith in front of the crowds each and every day, rain or shine.

We talked about the church being influenced by the culture. It can be SO hard to stand up and be different then the world. What would people think? What if people made fun of me? What if I look like a "Jesus freak?" Most of us just want to fit in, make no waves and not cause any uncomfortableness. I totally get that and I totally understand. However, that is NOT the road less traveled. Which reminds me of this poem by Robert Frost

Two roads diverged in a yellow wood,
And sorry I could not travel both
And be one traveller, long I stood
And looked down one as far as I could
To where it bent in the undergrowth;

Then took the other, as just as fair,
And having perhaps the better claim,
Because it was grassy and wanted wear;
Though as for that the passing there
Had worn them really about the same,

And both that morning equally lay
In leaves no step had trodden black.
Oh, I kept the first for another day!
Yet knowing how way leads on to way,
I doubted if I should ever come back.

I shall be telling this with a sigh
Somewhere ages and ages hence:
Two roads diverged in a wood, and I--
I took the one less traveled by,
And that has made all the difference

...Robert Frost

My favorite lines are the last two. "I took the one less traveled by, and that has made ALL the difference."
When you are being pulled in the direction of everyone else stop and look at the road. A very wise woman once told me this sage advice, "Jill, you play to an audience of ONE." That is all that matters. Certainly not the crowd but the ONE!

Think about that, won't you? That will make all the difference.
In Christ Alone,
Jill



Be the kind of woman that when your feet hit the ground each morning Satan says, "Oh crud, she's up".

2 comments:

  1. ~Thanks Jill~ I needed this today! I once had that poem memorized and had to recite in front of the class once...I loved rereading it with the emphasis that I use to. And that has made all the difference!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you Jill for confirming the questioning thoughts I have had! Oh yes, I have always...(well since I became a Christian)that we are to be set apart! Not looking like the world, only fixing that by attending church on Sundays...but be challenged and growing and being "different"... I was just told that I am not "normal", isn't that a great word for me :) Love and prayers for you!

    ReplyDelete