Monday, July 25, 2011

Headlines......

Check out the latest headlines and tell me what you think.

1. Teen burned alive by mother's boyfriend

2. Four year old shot dead while fishing with Dad

3. Car bombs kill 8 soldiers in Yemen

4. Los Angeles TSA indicted on theft charges

5. Vows make New York largest gay marriage state

I could go on and on and on but I think you get the point. I went to Sam's late this afternoon to pick up some things for a day trip tomorrow. I am a people watcher and have always been fascinated with how people present themselves in public. I know I am a little late but I am beginning to think that there are few people left in the world who don't have their faces, or their chests, or arms and legs covered in tattoos. I am also beginning to think there are only a few people left in this world who don't have their tongues, their nipples or their noses hanging with pierced rings and balls. Or what about the guys who think that I need to see not only their underwear but the cheeks and cracks they were born with. I guess I am just plain weird walking down the street in a dress these days. My how things have changed!

When did all of this happen? How did it become "normal" to look like that? How come a woman in a dress and a head covering looks out of place walking down the road? Or, when did it become abnormal to be married 30+ years all to the same man?

Remember when Jesus looked down on Jerusalem and wept at what he saw? His heart has to be breaking for our country right now. We started as a Christian nation and now look at us. In a recent study by the Pew Foundation 39% of 18-30 year olds say that marriage is now obsolete.

Everything is now upside down. What was once right is now apparently wrong. What is wrong now once was right. What a sad state of affairs. None of this takes Jesus by surprise. In fact he talked about this sad state of affairs and then encouraged his apostles to stay strong.

Behold, the hour is coming, indeed it has come, when you will be scattered, each to his own home, and will leave me alone. Yet I am not alone, for the Father is with me. 33 I have said these things to you, that in me you may have peace. In the world you will have tribulation. But take heart; I have overcome the world.”

John 16:32-33 (ESV)

There is the solution to all these terrible headlines. Because of Jesus' birth, his life, his death and his resurrection he has the power to overcome the world. He calls us to be faithful and to be salt and light to this perverse generation. So, next time you read the headlines and feel overwhelmed, look up and know that Jesus really has overcome the world!



Be the kind of woman that when your feet hit the ground each morning Satan says, "Oh crud, she's up".

2 comments:

  1. We have indeed gone from a Christian nation to one of apathy. Everything is okay in the eyes of the world. Saddens me.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I personally don't have a problem w/piercings and tattoos. But I think it's awful that young men wear their pants so low. Many a days I want to walk up to them and yank them all the way down!

    ReplyDelete