Monday, June 27, 2011

Planting Season

Hello everyone. I hope this finds you all walking in the LORD. In my part of the country we are finally getting dry enough to plant our gardens. I have learned over the last few years that the kind of soil is the most important part of having a successful garden. The soil here is very sandy. It is very hard to grow most things in soil so sandy. I have had to add soil that is richer to be successful.

Last time I wrote I asked you to consider the parable of the sower which is found in Mark 4:1-20. When reading this lately I was struck by a couple of things.

1. When the sower sowed the word on the path instead of good soil it did not grow.

2. When the sower sowed the word on rocky ground it started to grow but was unable to grow roots so it too did not grow.

3. When the sower sowed the word in soil filled with thorns so that the seed was choked out and did not grow.

4. When the sower sowed the word on the good soil the seed grew and became fruitful.

God calls each of us to bear good fruit. The only way that can happen is for our hearts to be filled with “good soil”. How do we cultivate good soil and not allow the thorns to come in and choke out our fruitfulness? I would say we need to identify what those thorns are so we can get rid of them. The next few posts will be about some of our thorns.

Until then…

In Christ Alone,

Jill



Be the kind of woman that when your feet hit the ground each morning Satan says, "Oh crud, she's up".

No comments:

Post a Comment