Monday, March 21, 2011

My Favorite Gospel, John Day 76 & 77

John, the “disciple that Jesus loved” is how he describes himself to his readers. His letter is very different from the other three. John holds a unique place in the group of 12 disciples. Along with Peter and his brother James they are considered the “inner circle”. They witnessed the transfiguration and the agony in Gethsemane. Most important he was given the responsibility of caring for Jesus’ mother at the cross.

The theme of the book is all about God’s relationship with man.

The Purpose of This Book

30 Now Jesus did many other signs in the presence of the disciples, which are not written in this book; 31 but these are written so that you may believe that Jesus is the Christ, the Son of God, and that by believing you may have life in his name.

John 20:30-31 (ESV)

John shows a side of Jesus that no one else shows us, his heart for God’s people. In chapter 4 we learn the story of the Samaritan woman. He showed her amazing grace. An entire town came to believe in Jesus because of her. Then there is the story of Lazarus which always touches me. He purposely waited a couple of extra days to go to Bethany. He did it on purpose so everyone would know that it was a miracle. Many people believed because of the rising of the Lazarus. What touches me the most though is that he cried for his friend, even though He knew he would raise him from the dead in a matter of minutes. Then who could forget Mary of Bethany who used her dowry to take the pound of ointment and anoint Jesus’ feet.

Probably my favorite though is Jesus’ prayer at the end of his ministry. Listen to this;

But now I am coming to you, and these things I speak in the world, that they may have my joy fulfilled in themselves. 14 I have given them your word, and the world has hated them because they are not of the world, just as I am not of the world. 15 I do not ask that you take them out of the world, but that you keep them from the evil one. 16 They are not of the world, just as I am not of the world. 17 Sanctify them in the truth; your word is truth. 18 As you sent me into the world, so I have sent them into the world. 19 And for their sake I consecrate myself, that they also may be sanctified in truth. 20 “I do not ask for these only, but also for those who will believe in me through their word, 21 that they may all be one, just as you, Father, are in me, and I in you, that they also may be in us, so that the world may believe that you have sent me.

John 17:13-21 (ESV)

That they may all be one. What a prayer. We have done a lousy job of being one. Jesus challenges me to be better than I am, what about you?

"Be the kind of woman that when your feet hit the ground each morning Satan says, "Oh crud, she's up"

No comments:

Post a Comment