Tuesday, March 22, 2011

Day 79 Birth Pains


The book of Acts is all about the beginning of the LORDS' church. I have tried to imagine what it must have been like for both the Jews and the Gentiles. Like birthing a baby, it had to have been very painful.

Go back with me and remember what the lay of the land was. Jews considered Gentiles as dogs. They would walk extra miles to avoid being near a Gentile. They would not do business with them or eat or socialize. The Jews were superior, God's chosen people.

All of the sudden Peter is taught that the Gentiles will be grafted in to the body. Oh what a tough concept. Gentiles could now be followers of God? How could that be? Not all Jews wanted to go along with the new concept. The Jews were know expected to be welcoming to the Gentiles and on even footing!

Equal footing, that is how God wanted His church to recognize each other. It reminds me of the Civil War and the Civil rights movement. God's body of believers failed miserably when it came to treating each other as equals. When whites and blacks started to come together to worship, Satan was right there ready to stir the pot.

The New Testament church had many struggles when it came to accepting each other. Anyone and I do mean anyone has the right to come to the LORD. That includes those who have done terrible crimes against humanity, that means the homosexual, the rapist and the gossip! We are ALL miserable lost souls without the cleansing blood of Jesus Christ.

I am reminded of Jesus' last prayer with the disciples before being handed over for trial.
“I do not ask for these only, but also for those who will believe in me through their word, 21 that they may all be one, just as you, Father, are in me, and I in you, that they also may be in us, so that the world may believe that you have sent me.

That they may all be ONE. That is the heart cry of our Master. Who will heed?
Something to think about it.




No comments:

Post a Comment