Thursday, March 10, 2011

Day 66 An Amazing Scripture

I am sorry this is so late. We have had no internet for two days so I haven’t been able to post. I hope you are continuing to read every day.

Veggie Tales made a great movie about Jonah. I think the movie was over an hour and you can read the entire book in less than 10 minutes! I have read Jonah many times and this time something just popped right out at me and slapped me across the face J

Here it is:

“When my life was ebbing away, I remembered you, LORD, and my prayer rose to you, to your holy temple. Those who cling to worthless idols forfeit the grace that could be theirs. But I, with a song of thanksgiving will sacrifice to you. What I have vowed I will make good. Salvation comes from the LORD.” Jonah 2:7-9

I have to tell you after almost finishing the O.T. the thing that stands out over and over again is the utter abandonment of God for idols. There were times when I wanted to shake the Israelites through the pages and say don’t you get it? For many months God has been prompting me through His Word and His Spirit to pay attention to the lessons in the O.T. concerning the Israelites. As the LORD was prompting me I asked that I would get the true messages of the first half of the Bible.

The Israelites were God’s chosen people. Over and over they would refuse to be satisfied and abandoned ship. It is like a kid in front of a candy store. All that tasty sugar just screaming at them, here, here take me! They wanted what every other person had and that was idols of every kind. A god that promises fertility, a god that promises “stuff” etc. etc. It reminds me of commercials. If I would just wear ____ you fill in the blank then my husband will adore me. Se*, se*, se* sells it all. It promises us that if we buy the new car, the new perfume, the new whatever then we will be happy. They are all idols that promise happiness.

Jonah says that those who cling to worthless idols forfeit that grace that could be theirs. That is a brilliant statement and says it all. Do I really want to forfeit the grace that God wants to rain down on me? For what? This was a powerful message for me.

Grace, amazing sweet grace is what we are offered. What will you and I do with that amazing gift?

Think about it.

In Christ Alone.

Jill

Jiller

"Be the kind of woman that when your feet hit the ground each morning Satan says, "Oh crud, she's up"

1 comment:

  1. Love this post Jill! It's so sad that we are no different today than the Israelites back then! But, I take comfort that God isn't either! All glory to His for His love & patience!!

    And, I'll have "Jonah was a prophet - ooo! oo!, But he never really got it - do-bitty do!" In my head all day!! :O)

    ReplyDelete