Wednesday, February 2, 2011

Treasures Day 31


Good morning ladies. Did you wake up to find a winter wonderland peaking out of your window? I love snow storms. It reminds me that God is the master of the Universe. We are His finest creation and we are His treasure. Speaking of treasure, in our reading I was blown away by the giving that the Israelites displayed willingly to build the temple for God. Before David’s death he set out the plans for the temple that son Solomon would build. He also had figured out the materials needed for the building project. In chapter 29 of 1 Chronicles he tells the people what he is going to give for the job. It is amazing how much David gave, we have to remember that these gifts were over and above the tithes that were given. He closes out with this question, “Who then will offer willingly, consecrating himself today to the LORD?” 1 Chronicles 29:5

The people were challenged by the question David posed. They gave, and then they gave some more and then they gave again. In fact, they gave sacrificially. Does that remind you of anyone? Mark 12:42

The Widow’s Offering

41 And he sat down opposite the treasury and watched the people putting money into the offering box. Many rich people put in large sums. 42 And a poor widow came and put in two small copper coins, which make a penny. 43 And he called his disciples to him and said to them, “Truly, I say to you, this poor widow has put in more than all those who are contributing to the offering box. 44 For they all contributed out of their abundance, but she out of her poverty has put in everything she had, all she had to live on.”

Mark 12:41-44 (ESV)

Warning, itty bitty rant, proceed with caution. I was never taught about giving as a child. When I became a Christian I knew deep inside myself that anything I put in the offering plate would be pittance compared to what the LORD has done for me. I am deeply bothered by our standards in giving today. I am not in favor of churches wanting to see their members paystubs and then forcing them to give a tithe from that. I see nothing in scripture that allows such a thing. I see in scripture over and over again the people giving because they wanted to. This is a heart issue, plain and simple. What really sends me over the edge is when those leading the Lord’s supper say something like this, “God doesn’t care what you give, we need to give our time just as well.” It comes across as a pass if you don’t want to give and that just torques my soul. Do we truly understand what the Master has done for us? If we do then it should be sacrificial giving, not what is left in the checkbook after all the bills are paid! I know all the excuses, years ago we had the same excuses. There is no money left, how can we give etc. etc. I can tell you this, God has given every single dime we have. It is not ours to just do as we please. We are told to be good stewards of what the LORD has given us. Good stewards, are we?

AHHH, I feel better now! Back to your regular programming.

God’s people gave. Listen to the scripture that follows;

Then the people rejoiced because they had given willingly, for with a whole heart they had offered freely to the Lord. David the king also rejoiced greatly. 1 Chron 29:9 (ESV)

Lord, please help us give, with our hearts overflowing. In Jesus name and authority.

Jiller

"Be the kind of woman that when your feet hit the ground each morning Satan says, "oh crud, she's up"

1 comment:

  1. That'll preach, sister! Keep speaking the truth!! And... keep warm! :O)

    ReplyDelete