Friday, February 18, 2011

The Proverbs 31 Woman

We can’t go through Proverbs without visiting the 31 woman. Do you remember the commercial where the woman is wearing a dress and an apron swinging a frying pan singing a little ditty about bringing home the bacon and then being able to fry it up? I would laugh and just shake my head. Who told us that lie (and yes it is a lie) saying we can do it all? I would like to strangle the person!

A little history about our famous Proverbs 31 woman. This set of verses is an acrostic, each line starts with the Hebrew alphabet. King Lemuel’s mom taught this to him. Did his mom write this herself or was it a piece handed down from one generation to the next? Wish I had a definitive answer but in either case he was taught this growing up. I can tell you that having 6 boys I don’t hesitate to share with my boys the kind of young ladies I want for them!

Back to our practically perfect wife/mom, she is truly amazing. I have found myself looking at her and then making a mental checklist; gets up early, check, willing to work with her hands, check, opens her hand to the poor, check, makes linen garments and sells them…ooops no way! No matter what measuring “stick” I use I just never measure up. Believe you me, I have tried, and tried and tried. In fact I have a superwoman cape in my closet. It is so beautiful, it always looks new and it never wrinkles. There is only one slight problem, the cape does not fit. Sorrowfully I put it back in the closet and shut the door.

All of us have different seasons in our lives. Right now I am in the “refining” season where I am cooking in the fire. The fire is a challenging place to be, sometimes it doesn’t look so pretty and it can certainly smell like rotting flesh. Some of you are in the fire also. It is all you can do to get up and get the necessities accomplished. Some are in the spring season, roses are blooming everywhere. It doesn’t matter what season you are in. It is against our nature to be perfect because only God is perfect. Getting out that cape helps me remember it does not fit. Why? Why doesn’t it fit, I try hard to do it all so why can’t I make it fit? On our own we can do nothing. We need God each and every day to mold and shape us into the kind of wife and mother that would glorify Him. There’s the ticket, relying on the power of God to walk with us through our day. Then we will be the Proverbs 31 women, without the cape of course!


"Be the kind of woman that when your feet hit the ground each morning Satan says, "Oh crud, she's up"

No comments:

Post a Comment