Friday, February 18, 2011

Day 48 Saturated with Pleasure


Tomorrow we are in the book of Ecclesiastes. It is probably one of the oddest books in scripture. Odd because it is written by King Solomon who truly loses his way. He becomes saturated with pleasure. He asked God to give him wisdom so that he could lead his people well. God granted his request and also gave him great riches and honor. Solomon decides to discover everything that is “under the sun”.

It reminds me of Mardi Gras. All pleasure is embraced, nothing is held back. When we spent a week demucking homes in the 9th ward after Hurricane Katrina one thing struck me that I have not written about, the beads. Until that time I had never noticed strings of beads for Mardi Gras. I had no idea what the significance was of those silly things. When we were clearing out the houses I looked up and saw strings of beads. The whole house was destroyed down to the studs but up in the rafters there were beads everywhere. I also have never seen so much alcohol both empty and full bottles. The beads represent total depravity.

King Solomon tried it all and he ended up in total despair. He could find nothing, nada, good. Everything was folly to him. He moaned that he had built wonderful things but they were worthless because he would die and pass it on to someone who didn’t build it. His mournful remarks make me think the man became seriously depressed. I guess if I had 700 husbands I might get depressed too! J

Do you know what Solomon’s real problem was? He focused on everything “under the sun” instead of everything “above the sun”. Someday sweet sister all this will go away, in the blink of an eye God will transform our bodies and bring us home with him. We get so focused on what is under the sun and forget who made the sun and the Son. What a great lesson for all of us. I feel overwhelmed at times with all that I face under the sun. When I spend time in God’s word and focus on what is above the sun then I do much better, what about you?

Here is how Solomon ends his little experiment;

The words of the wise are like goads, and like nails firmly fixed are the collected sayings; they are given by one Shepherd. 12 My son, beware of anything beyond these. Of making many books there is no end, and much study is a weariness of the flesh. 13 The end of the matter; all has been heard. Fear God and keep his commandments, for this is the whole duty of man. 14 For God will bring every deed into judgment, with every secret thing, whether good or evil.

Eccl 12:11-14 (ESV)

Think about it today, won’t you?

Blessings

Jiller

"Be the kind of woman that when your feet hit the ground each morning Satan says, "oh crud, she's up"

1 comment:

  1. Love this one! Keep pointing us to the Son, sister!! kjs :O)

    ReplyDelete