Wednesday, January 26, 2011

Wisdom Day 24


I have always loved Solomon's heart when he first became King of Israel. Solomon showed his love for the LORD by walking according to the statutes of his father David. God appears to Solomon in a dream and says, "Ask for whatever you want me to give you." WOW, can you imagine God offering to give you anything? That reminds me of the cartoons where someone is given three wishes! I would like to think I would have chosen wisely but you never know...

Listen and hear what Solomon says to the request.

And Solomon said, “You have shown great and steadfast love to your servant David my father, because he walked before you in faithfulness, in righteousness, and in uprightness of heart toward you. And you have kept for him this great and steadfast love and have given him a son to sit on his throne this day. 7 And now, O Lord my God, you have made your servant king in place of David my father, although I am but a little child. I do not know how to go out or come in. 8 And your servant is in the midst of your people whom you have chosen, a great people, too many to be numbered or counted for multitude. 9 Give your servant therefore an understanding mind to govern your people, that I may discern between good and evil, for who is able to govern this your great people?”

1 Kings 3:6-9 (ESV)


Solomon had a burden for God's people and God rewarded him by not only giving him great wisdom to lead His people but also riches and honor for which he did not ask for.

When we get into Psalms and Proverbs we will talk about wisdom again. For today, let's be like Solomon and ask for wisdom to lead ourselves and our children well.

In Christ Alone,

Jill

No comments:

Post a Comment