Sunday, November 28, 2010

Please Discipline That Child!

For those of us who are parents we can relate to this girl in the picture. Defiant, rebellious and just plain ornery! My fleshly self would want to smack that little stinker if she were my child! The LORD has something to say about children and discipline.

“My son, do not regard lightly the discipline of the Lord, nor be weary when reproved by him. 6 For the Lord disciplines the one he loves, and chastises every son whom he receives.”

Heb 12:5-6 (ESV)

I certainly can’t speak for you but I can tell you that I hate being disciplined. My flesh sure gets in the way. Recently I experienced the Lord’s discipline and I struggled for days before I could submit, it was not a pretty picture. The Hebrew writer talks about the feelings of being disciplined, we all hate it when it happens to us.

“It is for discipline that you have to endure. God is treating you as sons. For what son is there whom his father does not discipline? 8 If you are left without discipline, in which all have participated, then you are illegitimate children and not sons. 9 Besides this, we have had earthly fathers who disciplined us and we respected them. Shall we not much more be subject to the Father of spirits and live? 10 For they disciplined us for a short time as it seemed best to them, but he disciplines us for our good, that we may share his holiness. 11 For the moment all discipline seems painful rather than pleasant, but later it yields the peaceful fruit of righteousness to those who have been trained by it.

I want more than anything to be holy. Many times in scripture we are told to strive for holiness. The challenge is what it takes to become holy. No pain, no gain! The writer here in Hebrews tells us that God’s discipline is the entrance to holiness.

Heb 12:7-11 (ESV)

Next time God wants to discipline you, remember he only disciplines those he loves. I am so thankful God loves you and me. J

Till tomorrow.

Jiller

"Be the kind of woman that when your feet hit the ground each morning Satan says, "Oh crud, she's up"

1 comment:

  1. blog walking and visiting here... have a view of my blog when free.. http://www.lonelyreload.blogspot.com .. do leave me some comment / guide if can.. if interested can follow my blog...

    ReplyDelete