Sunday, October 17, 2010

Where to be in a Storm

Jumping into the boat one night the disciples were asked by Jesus to go to the other side. Funny, in order to get to the other side of the lake they had to pass through a storm. Life is kind of like that. In order to get onto the shore it usually involves a storm.

For the disciples it wasn't just any old storm. Nope, when God wants to teach a lesson he usually does it in a very big way. No matter to the Master of the Universe, he goes to sleep in the bottom of the boat.

I have to tell you when I am out in a boat the bottom is the last place I want to be. I would much rather be at the top where I can feel some sense of control no matter how futile! However, if I am to be like Jesus I must learn to go to him in the storm and not out on the deck as the wind and the waves batter the boat.

You see my precious sister, there is great rest and comfort when we CHOSE to go to the bottom of the boat with our Saviour and Redeemer. Jesus had no problem going to the bottom because he knew the storm would obey Hi, so he rested.

In order to get to the other side where Jesus wants us we have to go through, not around but through the storm to get where we need to go. So many lessons are wrapped up in that one storm. It reminds me of the scripture in Matthew 11:28

Come to me, all who labor and are heavy laden, and I will give you rest. 29 Take my yoke upon you, and learn from me, for I am gentle and lowly in heart, and you will find rest for your souls. 30 For my yoke is easy, and my burden is light.”

Next time a storm comes up how about exercising your faith muscles and move to the bottom of the boat! I will meet you down there!

In Christ Alone
Jill

3 comments:

  1. Please pray for my brother and sister in-law that have gone through so many storms and are facing a very rough one right now. Pray that my brother will "wake up" and realize what a mess he is making out of his life and that he will WANT TO CHANGE. He is being very selfish and is hurting his family in a way that may never be healed. Please pray for my sister in-law that she will be able to persevere. Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Just did, thank you for including me in your prayer requests. Love you sister.
    Jill

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you for sharing this. I love those verses Matthew 11:28-30. They really speak into my situation at the moment, with 2 little ones, when I feel sooooo tired sometimes. What a privilege and a comfort to be able to rest in Jesus, the King of the Universe. Praying for you in your situation. Blessings,

    ReplyDelete