Sunday, October 3, 2010

The Changing of Seasons


I remember arriving in the Azores and admiring the gorgeous green pastures. It was so beautiful. A hand made stone wall was built around each persons property. From a distance they all looked like a patchwork quilt. It never occurred to me that I could tire of green but guess what? I discovered that I really crave variety.
We have lived in several states where there are only 2 seasons. To get all 4 seasons was a treat. Each season offers something special. Summer offers warmth, growth and the sun! Fall brings change, change of weather, change of the trees and change in the animals. Winter offers sparkling white snow, cold and barren lands that rest. Spring offers new birth, a hope for the future.
I love all four seasons and can find something to be thankful for in each of them. Our lives can be likened to the seasons. There are seasons of new birth. New mamas with babies. That season can seem like it will last forever. I thought I would never sleep again when I had our babies! The lesson I learned, it wont last forever.
When hubby was in the military we moved 14 times. I learned how to pack and unpack with efficiency. I learned how to navigate a new town and even learned to get busy in every congregation we served without waiting for someone to ask us. But the one really important lesson I learned is this, embrace each and every season.
Not all seasons are created equal. Winter provides us with chestnuts roasting on an open fire but can also give us snow storms that can wreak havoc on life and limb. Spring brings us crocuses and daffodils but can also bring torrential rains and flooding. I tend to embrace new seasons of my life because there IS so much to learn from each one.
What season are you in? Are there lessons that you can learn from where you are right now? God's word is powerful. The Master of the Universe understands that there are many seasons.
Time for Everything
1 For everything there is a season, and a time for every matter under heaven:
2 a time to be born, and a time to die; a time to plant, and a time to pluck up what is planted;
3. a time to kill, and a time to heal; a time to break down, and a time to build up;
4 a time to weep, and a time to laugh; a time to mourn, and a time to dance;
5 a time to cast away stones, and a time to gather stones together; a time to embrace, and a time to refrain from embracing;
6 a time to seek, and a time to lose; a time to keep, and a time to cast away;
7 a time to tear, and a time to sew; a time to keep silence, and a time to speak;
8 a time to love, and a time to hate; a time for war, and a time for peace.
Eccl 3:1-8 (ESV)
Tomorrow is Gratituesday. Start thinking about what you are thankful for.
In Christ ALone
Jill

No comments:

Post a Comment