Wednesday, September 1, 2010

Waiting and Waiting and Waiting some more


Good morning and Happy Wednesday to each of you. I wonder just how many of us has had to wait a very long time for something that you know is supposed to happen but hasn’t? Waiting is hard for us, especially Americans. We have the waiting power of a flea! When everything else is instantaneous why wait for anything!

Poor Simeon. Here was a godly man. God had promised him that he would not die till God had shown him face the face the Messiah. Did he spend every waking moment thinking about God’s promise? Did he ever get impatient waiting? Scripture doesn’t say.

I wonder if he got up each morning thinking, “I wonder if today is the day”? I wonder if he ever got impatient with God and said something like Tevia did in the classic movie, Fiddler on the Roof, “Today would be a good day LORD”
Here is the real deal. Simeon was a man who KNEW how to wait on the Lord.

“Those who wait on the Lord will gain new strength, they will mount up with wings of eagles, they will run and not grow weary the will walk and not grow faint” Isaiah 40:31

In Luke chapter 2 we get the story of not only Simeon but Anna as well. Both were actively waiting to see the Messiah. Anna spent her days and nights in the temple waiting. Simeon was a man who walked blameless before God. He was righteous, which means in today’s language, his relationship was right with the Lord. Try to picture Jesus who is now a mere 8 days old. Simeon sees him and takes him in his arms and says this to God for all to hear.

“Lord, now you are letting your servant depart in peace, according to your word; for my eyes have seen your salvation that you have prepared in the presence of all peoples, a light for revelation to the Gentiles, and for glory to your people Israel.”

Simeon could now depart in peace. I can imagine shortly thereafter he closed his eyes and went to be with the Father. I don’t know how you feel about that but I want to depart in peace. I want my life to be so right with the Father that I can truly say I am waiting for the Lord with peace. I don’t want to live a life where I am wringing my hands in impatience. Or worse, giving up my faith in the Father because I am having to wait too long for the reward.

Never, never grow weary waiting for the Lord. In His perfect time he will fulfill every promise he has made.
Both Simeon and Anna are proof of that.

Till tomorrow may God’s richest blessings help you to wait on the Lord.




"Let us lay aside every weight, and sin which clings so closely, and let us run with endurance the race that is set before us"

No comments:

Post a Comment