Wednesday, September 15, 2010

The Ultimate Hero of the Faith?


And the winner is……..Mary the mother of Jesus. Would you believe she is not listed in the great hall of faith?
I never realized that till recently. If I had to list the top hero of the faith I would have chosen Mary. Mary, so young, so brave to face the ultimate shame, having a baby before she was married. Can you imagine the stress?

I find it fascinating that the first thing she did was to get out of Dodge! Of course her reason was not to run for running’s sake but to seek wise counsel. Scripture says she “made haste to the hill country” I am sure part of her haste was due to the life altering news she just got. She needed time to get her head together. I want to focus on just who she chose to run to, cousin Elizabeth.

Cousin Elizabeth was a righteous woman. Scripture says she walked blamelessly in all the commandments and statues of the Lord. If I was facing a major crisis in my life I too would want to find the most holy woman I could find and sit at her feet and learn. This is exactly what Mary did. What a wise woman. Mary was at a cross roads in her life and she truly chose “the road less taken”.

Mary had an unusual amount of faith. She had been chosen to not only carry but raise God’s one and only Son, The Messiah. In Bible times that was a sin punishable by death. Yet, God chose her. He had to have seen the traits he was looking for in Mary. Mary spent the first 3 months of her pregnancy learning from Elizabeth.

What a wise choice. We can learn many things from Mary. The first is her reaction to the news. She sought wise counsel. What about us? Do we spend time with the wise women in our lives and learn all we can? OR do we chose the “fools” of the world to confide in? Who we chose to seek advice from tells a lot about ourselves.

I would encourage you to be a great woman of faith, just like Mary and just like Elizabeth.
Till tomorrow.

Blessings


"Let us lay aside every weight, and sin which clings so closely, and let us run with endurance the race that is set before us"

No comments:

Post a Comment