Monday, September 20, 2010

Don't Forget!



Good morning everyone and Happy Monday! The renovation on the basement apartment is almost ready so things are a bit crazy. I am sure there will be several days when I will miss posting.


Am I the only one that forgets things? I write myself notes, I keep my brain running constantly on a to do list and still I forget. In our family we have two sets of children that we refer to affectionately Team A and Team B. When our daughter turned 16 we adopted a precious little baby boy and then proceeded to adopt 4 more.


We were also heavily involved with foster care at the time for medically fragile babies. Our house was over flowing with munchkins. I had to be very organized when I went anywhere. So one day we were loading up the van and headed for home. We had a habit of calling out names to make sure we had everyone. Well sure enough the one time I didnt call everyones name I forgot one. Sitting at the church not realizing he was left was one son! Our daughter in classic style said this, "Mother, there is a reason women your age do not have babies. You forget where you put them down!" LOL We all forget.


When we read the Bible we learn not only about forgetting but the consequences of forgetting. God's people, his chosen people would forget about him all the time. When the Israelites were ready to cross into the promised land God begged them not to forget how they got there. Listen to Deuteronomy chapter 8


Take care lest you forget the Lord your God by not keeping his commandments and his rules and his statutes, which I command you today, 12 lest, when you have eaten and are full and have built good houses and live in them, 13 and when your herds and flocks multiply and your silver and gold is multiplied and all that you have is multiplied, 14 then your heart be lifted up, and you forget the Lord your God, who brought you out of the land of Egypt, out of the house of slavery, 15 who led you through the great and terrifying wilderness, with its fiery serpents and scorpions and thirsty ground where there was no water, who brought you water out of the flinty rock, 16 who fed you in the wilderness with manna that your fathers did not know, that he might humble you and test you, to do you good in the end. 17 Beware lest you say in your heart, ‘My power and the might of my hand have gotten me this wealth.’ 18 You shall remember the Lord your God, for it is he who gives you power to get wealth, that he may confirm his covenant that he swore to your fathers, as it is this day. 19 And if you forget the Lord your God and go after other gods and serve them and worship them, I solemnly warn you today that you shall surely perish. 20 Like the nations that the Lord makes to perish before you, so shall you perish, because you would not obey the voice of the Lord your God.
Deut 8:11-20 (ESV)


Maybe it is time to put a ribbon around our fingers so that we dont forget!

Think about it. Tomorrow is Gratituesday.

In Christ Alone

No comments:

Post a Comment