Friday, August 13, 2010

The Opthamologist's Instrument

Remember going to your very first Dr. to see if you needed glasses? I was about 12 before I went to my first appointment. I had become a pro at squinting at blackboards, TVs, road signs, you name it. Everything had been blurry for a couple of years. When I sat in the chair and the Dr. put the view finder up to me I was fascinated. The more he scrolled through the lenses I was amazed because everything became clearer. The final lenses he chose was crystal clear and I was so excited. I could see the outline of branches, words on the chalkboard were readable. I was so proud of my new glasses. They were pink frames with what I called cat eyes since each corner of the frame came up into a tip, very cool in the 60's!



Now lets go back to our scripture in Colossians 3:14. We are told to set our minds on things above, not on things that are on earth. How do we do that when our gaze does not naturally look up both physically and metaphorical?



Like the new lenses I got at age 12 I need to have a lens with which to see clearly. When I see clearly I remember that this world is truly not my home. We say it but do we really believe it? We sure don't live like we believe it sometimes. Since this world is not my home but just a temporary tent then my lens will naturally look different. What does it matter what kind of home I have if it is only temporary? SO much of our time is spent on the acquisition of "stuff" Will I take any "thing" with me to my permanent home?



We will be moving soon due to my husband's health and it has been enlightening. To put the house on the market we rented a storage unit to put some of our "stuff" out of the way to make the home look bigger. Being a military wife for the first 22 years of our marriage I discovered that living light leads to packing lite which ultimately leads to moving light. We moved 14 times and I can tell you we lugged very little extras along the way. Most "stuff" is truly only a burden.



Setting our minds above challenges us to think like God thinks. The term being Christ like means we are thinking on the things Jesus thought on. Why don't you think about the kinds of things that Jesus thought on and then make a list. Make a list of things that will point you towards thinking above the earth. I will share mine on Monday, why don't you do the same.



Have a fabulous weekend and remember to honor the One who made this all possible.

In Christ Alone,

Jill

1 comment: